Since before I packed my final suitcase I’ve been longing to find an answer to this frequently asked question. After moving seventeen hours away from my comfort zone, I’ve started to come up with an educated answer. I’m not at a traditional college, so my answer to this question will convey my experience thus far at the Savannah College of Art and Design.
So what is college?
A place to be 100% yourself and not care about what other people think. Embrace your inner desire to swing dance, there will be people to swing dance with you. Exercise your passion for fighting with nerf guns, there will be people to play with.
A place where you stay up way too late every single night because you end up sipping tea and having conversations with interesting people at late hours when instead you should be working on a project that’s due at 11am the next morning.
- A place where you pull multiple all nighters and take many naps because that’s what you have to do if you want any sort of social life.
- A place where you miss your best friends and family all the time. You come to the realization that your loved ones will always be there. If I’ve learned anything it’s that distance verifies friendship, sisterhood and loyalty.
- A place where you’re expected to rise to the challenge on every occasion; where doing your best is the only option and sometimes that isn’t enough. A place where you absorb every critical comment and use that to strengthen your work in the future.
- A place to NOT complain about homework because we are among the 1% of the world that receives the blessing of extended education.
- A place to focus on bettering yourself in any way you can and jumping on every opportunity you can.
- A place where laundry piles up and you learn how to get creative with how to dry your clothing to avoid spending $3.00.
- A place where walking and riding the bus is a second nature.
- A place where you always feel passionate about what you do.
What is college? This question is answered differently for everybody. The answer to that question has many layers and many possible answers. College is a culmination of people who are driven to make something of themselves. Go to a place where you feel as though the people surrounding you will build you up and push you to use your 86,000 seconds wisely. College is what you make of it, and just like anything what you put in is what you get out of it.
What is college for you?